Billykins regales Pili Pala with a tale, over breakfast

As recounted to Pili Pala, by her old friend Billykins Boomwacket, while he slurps soup at the tavern, and she struggles to get a word in edgeways:

Ah Pili Pala, that Jig thinks she’s the stealthy sort, but still managed to scare the brasspockets out of her when I snuck up behind her at Lionshield Coster. Yes, indeed, was on my way to find you once I’d heard there was a corgi-riding sprite just arrived in town with a crowd of adventurers,  who else could it be? And then I see my good friend Jig, so I put two and two together...Ah it’s good to see you!

So, Jig was done with Linene at Lionshield Coster in jig time (geddit?) and sounded like there was some craic to be had at Barthen’s so I followed along, but thought I may as well stay out of sight after hearing about those Redbrands, and wasn’t I right? 

I’ll tell ya, soon as that Elmar fellow fetched the purse for Jig, a coarse-looking lad name of Redbrand Ruffian turned up, and fancied he was going to have the gold off Elmar. Quite the lionheart that shopkeeper - Elmar hurled it at Jig like it was ON FIRE, but she caught it no bother, and caught on to Ruffian fast enough.

Mebbe Elmar and his crew might have stood up for us later, but they stood well back from the knife Ruffian pulled on Jig (one of them had even managed to put two stone walls between herself and him by then).

Maybe if he’d a known that Jig was hungry, Ruffian might have played it different. Not the first to fall that way.

Also not the brightest candle in the chapel, that one, y'know the way? 

Even when he’d noticed Jig was nigh on sharpening her knife with her teeth…he went on, and on, and on, and on, and on, loving the sound of his own voice while the flush - yes, exactly, the one that means she's getting hotter and hotter under the collar - was rising up her neck... yeah yeah so at a signal from Jig, I backed around behind him, an' under cover of the cart, and I let him have it! Three darts of a Magic Missile, blam blam blam! Have I what..? No Pili Pala, not a single qualm about that. Grown men extorting strange gnomes at knifepoint don’t get no mercy, specially after she tried her best to get him to see the stupidity of his ways. 

And he got her well enough too, lucky Elmar gave her a healing potion after, and got rid of the body. Stars, she was hopping mad, especially when her fireboat shot past Ruffian's ear. So I finished off the job with an arrow between the shoulders. 

And then yeah, back here we came in search of breakfast though the bread from Elmar’s was good. Jig’s got gold for you all. Yes! And more offers of work than you can field! Maybe I’ll come along with you all again, certainly never a dull moment…though I think I’ll steer clear of the Sleeping Giant tavern by myself for the foreseeable, sounds like that’s Redbrand heartlands. If Jig’s inclined to go look for Halia at the Miner’s exchange I might tag along though. Once me breakfast’s gone down…

(100 xp to Jig for killing a Redbrand Ruffian and 50 xp each to everyone for the writeup by Gail. Jig collected 100 gp reward altogether from Barthen's and Lionshield Coster)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Redbrand Hideout -- Mission: Infiltration!

Yeemik's Worst Nightmare & Arrival in Phandalin

A Visit from the Faerie Queen